Friday, November 5, 2010

PEPPERS OR PICKLES?


Bill has been growing peppers the last few years. HOT peppers..chocolate habanero peppers, orange habanero peppers, Pequin peppers, Cayenne peppers, Tepin peppers, Jalapeno peppers, PC1 peppers, Bhut Jolokia peppers, Tabasco peppers, bell peppers and Zimbabwe bird peppers. Peppers, Peppers and more peppers. The heat of a pepper is measured on what is called a Scoville scale. Bhut Jolokia peppers are one of the hottest peppers in the world. It is at the top of the scale. He has also grown lots and lots of cucumbers. With an endless supply of peppers and cucumbers, I have really tried to find as many ways as possible to use peppers and cucumbers.

We have made pepper relish, pepper jelly, pepper sauce, pickled peppers and dehydrated many many peppers. With the cucumbers, we have made kosher dill, Cajun dill and sweet pickles. I just finished using what I hope will be the last batch of peppers and cucumbers last night making pickled peppers and dill pickles.

Bill has been growing peppers as a hobby, but when he retires to Belize he plans on making it a business. So if any one has a good recipe or use for peppers or cucumbers…PLEASE send it my way. I could always use a new recipe.


3 comments:

  1. Yup. I am a TOTAL wimp when it comes to heat. My mouth burns just looking at these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, my husband grows some peppers so hot...they will burn you just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a hot pickle fanatic. How can i get some of these?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment "dear friend"