Monday, June 6, 2011

Mango Crop in Crooked Tree Village, Belize

Mango Crop in Crooked Tree Village Belize


Mango, Mangifera indica Cashew or Poison Ivy family. 

Ripe mangoes are typically eaten fresh, however they can be used to make juices, smoothies, ice cream, fruit bars, pies and jam. Mangoes are generally sweet, although the taste and texture may vary depending on where they are grown. I brought home some of the jam from Belize on my last trip and it was some of the best stuff I had ever eaten. In Central America, Mango is eaten green, mixed with salt, vinegar, black pepper and hot sauce or ripe in various forms.







Mangoes go through four stages, green, turn, ripe and overripe. Mango blossoms are small pink flowers covering the tree beginning in January. These blooms transform into tiny green mangoes around May and then slowly fill out and turn a reddish tint getting ready for the rain showers in June. The Mangoes start to ripen in June.






Some people may also be allergic to mangoes (note: in the Poison Ivy Family). The Mango peel and sap contains urushiol, the chemical in poison ivy and poison sumac that can cause an allergic reaction of blisters, a rash, itching, burning and swelling. 

Photos:  Linda Crawford, Village View Post

2 comments:

  1. Wow! We love mangoes and can't imagine that many all at once. My grandfather used to grow the BEST mangos in Ft. Myers, FL. Local folks (and racoons!) would come and steal them off his tree. My grandmother used to make mango pie; at that time I was a crazy kid and didn't think I liked it! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never really eaten Mangos very much and I have never heard of a Mango Pie..but I am sure it is delish. I plan on giving Mangos a try when I get to Belize.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment "dear friend"